Sunday, February 8, 2015

Beginning Crocheting

I am going to start learning how to crochet.  Actually, I am going to re-learn the art of crochet.  I was taught by my grandmother eons ago, but I chose to do needlework instead.  I felt, at that time, that it was more creative.  Little did I know that both are forms of art and both are very creative.  I need to do this because my daughter wants to learn.  She was taught a few stitches by my mother, then she forgot about it.  Now she wants to pick it up.  It would be very easy to have my mother teach her, but my mother lives 3 hours away and we don't go there as often as we would like to.  So, that means that I have to learn to be able to teach her.  My mother did buy her some books on crochet plus some needles and some thread. 

I went out and bought my own thread so that I could show her and wouldn't have to rip out the sample for her to try.


Now there are many different hook sizes, but after reading through the crochet book and looking at the paper sleeve that the yarn was wrapped in, I noticed that the needles have sizes on them in the middle where the flat area is.  It is also stated on the paper sleeve.


If you notice, the paper sleeve will also say "worsted" - 4.  Which I think means how many threads twist together to form one yarn.   (I did take the yarn apart and there were 4 threads.)  This particular brand of thread does not specifically say 4 ply, that is why I came to the conclusion that is what worsted meant.

Now I am not a professional, so some of my words may not be exactly the correct ones.  
This is my slip knot. 

After looking at the pictures in the book, which for me were very confusing, I remembered how to make a slip knot and then I showed my daughter.  It just seems so much easier than what the book described.






This is my Chain Stitch.  Not bad.  But of course I kept ripping it out and starting all over again to make sure that I knew how to chain correctly.  Then I tried to do a turning chain to make another row of chain stitches.  

 This one did not turn out correctly.  The turning chain was more of a round chain stitch and was not what I wanted.  Back to the drawing board.



No comments:

Post a Comment