Friday, January 7, 2011

Bread Pudding


Bread pudding was not a popular choice of dessert for me when I was younger. I would have chosen cake, pastry, ice cream, or chocolate instead of bread pudding. But as I have grown older, I have acquired a taste for it. It is especially delicious hot out of the oven with some vanilla ice cream next to it. Or cooled down and some fresh whipped cream put on top.

I had some leftover bread the other day and I didn’t want it to go to waste. So out came the recipe and away I went. Bread pudding is very easy to make, it only calls for 5 ingredients and everyone has these five ingredients in their house all the time. I will sometimes add to the recipe just for a change. I have added chocolate chips; the children especially like that. This last time I added orange rind and orange juice to the recipe, very tasty with a hint of orange.

Bread pudding Ingredients

2 large eggs, room temperature
2 ¼ c. whole milk (I use 2% - it still comes out fine)
½ c. sugar
1 ½ t. cinnamon (Watkins)
5 c. cubed or torn stale white bread (or use whatever bread on hand) I prefer to tear the bread – it will give the pudding a more rustic look.

Heat oven to 350ยบ. In large bowl, thoroughly mix eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon. Add the bread and stir gently until fully covered with egg mixture. Pour into greased 8x8 Pyrex. Bake for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean and pudding is lightly browned and puffed on edges. Serves 6.

I have made the bread pudding the night before and cooked in the morning for a breakfast treat. Have it with some coffee or tea and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment