Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bread Crumbs

There are a lot of recipes that call for bread crumbs. My question is why purchase bread crumbs when you can make them yourself. Whey you buy sliced bread there is always the end pieces that go to waste and end up being thrown away. I always take those end pieces and put them into the food processor and whirl away. The longer they are blended, the finer the crumbs become. Then I will end up using them in a recipe or put them into a plastic bag and put into the freezer for a later use.

I have used bread crumbs for hamburger patties. When I make the patties, besides the egg to bind the hamburger together, I add some bread crumbs (usually about ¼ cup, salt and pepper, some onions and if there is any barbeque sauce I add that also.) Then I put them on the grill and fire away.

I will also use the bread crumbs as a topping for macaroni & cheese or broccoli casserole. I don’t notice a difference if the bread crumbs are from white or wheat bread. I sometimes add seasonings to the bread crumbs.

Bread crumbs have also been used for breaded chicken, etc. Use your imagination and go wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment