Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stacked Chicken Enchilada Casserole

When I cook a whole chicken, I always use the Crockpot. I love cooking my chicken in the Crockpot as it gets so tender and moist that it falls off the bones. And if there is leftover chicken, I enjoy making chicken noodle soup.

This last time I had leftover chicken I ended up making stacked chicken enchilada casserole. My family really seemed to enjoy it.
I didn’t use a recipe per say, I make it up as I go, especially with the ingredients. This time I used my imagination in putting this recipe together. All ingredients listed are approximate, as I didn’t write them down as I threw them in, so you might have to adjust to your liking.

Stacked Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients:
2 ½ - 3 c. shredded or cut up cooked chicken
1 small can chopped olives
1 small can Ortega chilies, drained
1 small orange, red or yellow bell pepper
3-4 c. mild cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped
1 small bunch spinach, chopped (for sake of prep time, can use one box frozen chopped spinach)
1 jar Enchilada sauce
Corn Tortillas
Seasonings: ½ t. cumin, 1 tsp. salt, ¼ t. black pepper

Mix chicken, olives, chilies, bell pepper, onion and spinach together. Season with cumin, salt and pepper.

Steps: Add ½ c. enchilada sauce on bottom of 9x12 glass pan. Add corn tortillas on top. Add ½ chicken mixture, top with some cheese, add little enchilada sauce and cover with second row of corn tortillas. Layer rest of chicken mixture, cheese, enchilada sauce and last row of corn tortillas. Add all of enchilada sauce to top of casserole and rest of cheese. Bake in a 350ยบ oven for 30-40 minutes until heated through.

For faster prep time, use store purchased cooked rotisserie chicken, enchilada sauce (I make mine from scratch), and frozen chopped spinach.

This is so much easier to make than enchiladas, but with all the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment