Thursday, December 2, 2010

Bar Keeper’s Friend®

I have recently discovered a cleanser that has been around for a long time.   This cleanser has been around since 1882 and is composed of oxalic acid in a powder form.  My mother-in-law gave me some Bar Keepers Friend® when we moved into our house and I have used it ever since. I recommend this product to any one that needs help in cleaning their pots and pans, specifically stainless steel.  I often find that after cooking soup, pastas, potatoes, vegetables in my pots and pans a stain or outline of the food is left on the bottom on the pan, or sometimes a water mark line is left in the pan.  Just scrubbing with a sponge will not take off these stain marks.

I have tried various cleansers but they are not satisfactory, there has always been a little stain left.  I pour Bar Keepers Friend® into the pot and make a little paste with water and use my non-abrasive sponge to scrub the pot and it works like magic.  When I make tacos or fry something there is always burnt oil in the pan.  That will take a little elbow grease to get the dirty marks off, but it does work and I truly love it.  Sometimes I let it sit for about a minute then scrub and that works.

Besides stainless steel, I have used Bar Keepers Friend® to clean porcelain and ceramic tile, fiberglass, acrylic, copper, brass, and chrome fixtures.

 It is not always easy to find in the grocery stores, but you can always ask your store manager to start carrying it.  I have found it in Smart & Final and the price is very reasonable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment